The growing spread of gadgets and free access to the Internet has popularized online delivery. This method has become popular because everything you need can be delivered anywhere quickly. For business, one of the biggest advantages of online delivery is labor savings, because staff are not tied to a fixed location and require minimum investment. In addition to labor savings, other important advantages of online delivery for suppliers include improved accuracy of online orders and easier processing. After all, it is through online orders that suppliers collect key customer information that can be useful for developing marketing strategies, promotions, and special offers targeting specific segments. The market is expected to reach 164.5 billion USD by 2024.
The ResearchAndMarkets.com report, which covers leading geographic regions such as North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific, forecasts industry growth and development with an average annual rate of 15.8% (2019-2025).
Delivery challenges from 10 global brands
The quarantine period showed that delivery and logistical services will continue to grow. The number of couriers increased many times. 50% of them chose this profession during the quarantine period as the most profitable one. But a study of the most recognizable brands involved in delivery showed that there are problems everywhere.
What are the employees talking about?
- 70% of all couriers of delivery companies are new and poorly trained. Not only do they not care about the reputation of the company, but research suggests they take pleasure in deceiving the company.
- The Employee Journey Map (EJM) has many flaws. Too much time is taken waiting for the next step.
- There is no well-established procedure between all departments.
- Courier documents are not checked thoroughly.
What the clients tell us
- Too much effort is put into getting your order (from 7 to 12 steps).
- Couriers were not polite and often late. Sometimes the product was delivered inappropriately.
- The courier had not performed the necessary quarantine measures (without masks).
- The appearance of the worker was not acceptable (dirty clothes).
- Bugs in the application system - it was not possible to pay for the order by card
How to satisfy employees
- Monitoring of employee feedback. Tracking comments, feedback in social networks, business chats and Trustpilot-type websites is an integral part of any successful business. All feedback should be resolved without delay, to avoid reputational and financial losses during the crisis.
- Monitoring of the competitors' bonus system. Bonuses are a motivational component for an employee. In order not only to attract but also to keep a valuable employee, it is necessary to be aware of the competitor. The movement of couriers is the main problem facing the companies that we studied in the post quarantine period.
- Evaluation of satisfaction level. Regular employee surveys help to double the quality of staff's work. You can use internal structures or the services of a professional company, as employees will not always tell you openly about what they are dissatisfied with.
How to satisfy customers
All clients want to receive quality goods and services. But, in 2020 they want to do it all in one click. Our conclusion over the period that we conducted research was that you need to clearly understand all the steps your client is taking on his customer journey. Only then can you say that you know how to fully satisfy your client.
The most useful tool in building relationships with customers is the customer journey map (CJM). CJM is not a result, but a way to help:
- To see a product/service in detail and to synchronize the view of it in different segments;
- To record and optimize the way and means to solve users' problems with your products and services;
- To see the points of contact with users in different channels;
- To evaluate the quality of interaction with users in different points of contact with the company;
- To track changes in the quality of user interaction that are as a result of improvements to your product or service.
CJM is preparation of a special questionnaire, audience survey, content analysis, analysis of customer effort score. It is a painstaking way to achieve the main goal, which is pursued by all companies involved in market research and mystery shopping - improving the quality of service.
Mystery Shopping Director at Scheduling Worldwide